Attacks on Foreign Nationals in Rosettenville | Home Affairs Response

malusi-02-04-2015-18-04-08-42

Johannesburg – Home Affairs Minister Malusi Gigaba says his department wants to ensure peace and stability in areas that have been “earmarked” as problematic, following violent attacks on foreign nationals at the weekend.

Gigaba is heading up a government delegation, along with Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane, in the south of Johannesburg, following attacks on Nigerian nationals in Rosettenville over the weekend.

Police spokesperson Captain Kay Makhubela said nine people had been arrested over the weekend and that the police were continuing to patrol the area.

On Saturday, 10 houses were set alight after angry residents claimed they were being used as brothels and hiding spots for drug lords.

Fed-up residents had taken to the streets the previous Sunday, forcing their way into homes believed to be used for drug dealing and prostitution. They carried out the furniture and set it alight.

Sources:

This post was extracted from News24, please follow this link for the rest of the article.

Image

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s